ynai.com - Forum
November 23, 2014, 07:27:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help The Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nude swim in Iceland  (Read 9032 times)
BareItAll

« on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:28 PM »

Recently, I was on a brief visit to Iceland where I went with a couple of friends for a long weekend. Part of the trip involved a visit to the famous Blue Lagoon which is a geothermically heated pool of water that is so rich in minerals, the water a turquoise blue colour.

When you go to the Blue Lagoon, there are properly built changing facilities and it is a rule that you shower nude before going out to the lagoon. I was with some friends and once we had showered, we put on our swimming costumes and went outside, which was a relatively balmy 8 degrees centigrade and even though this was quite warm for Iceland, it still made us hurry to get into the warm water of the lagoon.

Once in the lagoon, the feeling of the warm water is fantastic. It is just like getting into a warm bath and it makes you feel great. One noticeable thing was that the water was so clouded with the minerals that give it the famous blue colour, it was impossible to see below the surface. Putting an arm even an inch below the surface obscured it from view so needless to say that anything else could not be seen either. This got my mind going on the possibility of some nudity and so I headed out towards the middle of the lagoon which was deeper.

All three of us headed out to the middle where there was the geothermal vent that was busily heating the water whilst pumping steam into the air high above us. My two friends apparently like their baths very hot so got a lot closer to the vent than I did which gave a little bit of distance between me and them. Taking the opportunity, I reached down and pulled my swimming shorts down to my knees before doing another check around. I moved my arms up onto the surface so that they could be seen and therefore not arouse suspicion but as I did, I wriggled my legs so that the shorts would drop down by themselves. The shorts slid down to my feet and I carefully stepped one leg out. I was wary of losing my shorts and not being able to find them again so I carefully hooked them with my other foot and raised them up to where I could reach them with my hand. And there I stood, complete naked in a lagoon, surrounded by people.

The feeling was great but my friends don't know I am a nudist and I was a little concerned that I would be discovered at any minute especially as I could not lift both my hands at the same time being that I was now holding my shorts. I decided that the best thing I could do for now was to put my shorts back on as naturally as possible. This was surprisingly easy to do as I had imagined that wet shorts would be difficult to get back into, but luckily this wasn’t the case and I went back and joined my friends who were still in the hotter part of the water.

After a while, we all headed over to another area where there were little coves that people could sit in which could accommodate 8 or 10 people at a time. We started off by sitting around having a laugh and then I got out to of the water to go and get the camera. When I came back, we took turns to take photos of each other larking about in the water and then one of my friends decided to swim back out to the hot water. My other friend took the camera back to the changing room and I stayed in this little cove.

No sooner had my friends gone out of sight than the shorts came off again and it felt great to be sitting in the nude with people around me. I held my shorts in my hand under the surface of the water so no one would know I was nude and I just sat back and felt quite relaxed. After about 10 minutes, I decided to go and find the others so I waded out into the main area of the water which had become really busy. There was a good hundred or so people all around me and I was walking between them, completely naked yet no one had any idea. It was a great feeling and soon, I saw my friends ahead of me near the vent. This was where I decided that I’d better get dressed again so I carefully climbed back into my shorts before heading back to join the others.

We finished swimming about and then headed back in, and sadly I did not get any further opportunities to get nude in Iceland. Still, it was a memorable experience and lots of fun.
Danee

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »

What a wonderful story!  

I wonder though how the others would have reacted to nudity?  I bet the people there are much like their Scandinavian ancestors and regard it as nothing.  Iceland is a place I'd like to visit one day.  I really would. (in the summer thanks)

To wit:

01/10/2007 | 00:00

The naked truth: Naturism in Iceland
My name is Nanna Árnadóttir and I’m a sprightly Icelandic lass with a black sense of humor and a list of mild neurosis as long as Woody Allen’s. I live in London where I am finishing my final year of journalism at Kingston University.

I will soon become the editor of my University newspaper and in the past I have been published in the UK’s Independent and F1 Racing Magazine. Today, I’m covering for Krista, but as of next week I’ll be contributing to Daily Life every Saturday.

The other night I watched Confetti, the rather unsuccessful but lovable mockumentary on three couples competing to have the most creative wedding ceremony. One of the couples wanted to have a naturist wedding. In other words, a nude wedding.

It should, at this point, be noted that I am not trying to be controversial and the spontaneous question “I wonder if there are nudists in Iceland?” was an innocent one. My father laughed when I asked if he had heard of nudists in Iceland “Nudists? In Iceland? They’d have to be bonkers!”

Bonkers or no, there is in fact a naturist community in Iceland. They have coincidentally also just published an English version of their website: Naturists however, are not nudists. Although both terms refer to being naked and both nudists and naturists promote a bare all lifestyle there are subtle differences between the two.

Nudism centers on simply being naked and is a title linked to Americans where as naturism is more of a European expression. Naturists believe that they are getting in touch with nature and removing the social barriers that come with clothing. That is to say you don’t have to worry about how ‘now’ your clothes are, what label you are wearing or if you fit in.

On their web page the Naturists of Iceland say that “there are ideal conditions for naturist activities in Iceland” and that like everywhere else in the world you can practice it at home so long as you raise the temperature a bit.

It is also suggested that you book a swimming pool out of hours so that you can enjoy a wee dip au natural, or rent a summerhouse with a hot tub so that you can enjoy hikes and bright summer nights disrobed and unabashed.

Naturism should be enjoyed, the site outlines, but “you must of course show consideration for other people who may be present. The purpose is not to shock others.”

It made me wonder, how shocked I would be if, while walking along some nature trail a group of threadbare people came walking my way? It all depends on what sort of person you are of course, but I don’t think I would be too alarmed.

You see all sorts of uncommon things in Iceland. Once when I was a child on summer break I saw a sheep that had been sacrificed in an Ásatrú (Norse Paganism) ceremony. It was gruesome for me to see its rotting corpse, though my mamma (Icelandic word for mum) said it was perfectly natural and part of our heritage. Personally I feel I would be more scandalized if a saw a sacrificed sheep again than a group of unclothed hikers. But then, that’s me.

After a few hours research into the world of Icelandic naturism, my pabbi (Icelandic word for dad) looked at me inquisitively and asked half joking and half not “does this life style appeal to you?” The answer: not so much, but that doesn’t mean the naturist terminology doesn’t.

Some quirky ‘naturisms’ include canuding which refers to canoeing in the nude. Clothist, is the nick name for everyone who is not a social nudist. Being naked at home post shower or on a Sunday morning is all well and good but you don’t qualify as a proper naturist until you are unclad publicly or with other people in a social setting.

As an Icelander I can easily say that I am not surprised there are naturists in Iceland. We are like a jumble of different inclinations and principles both naughty and idyllic coexisting on a 103,000 square kilometer rock. As a clothist I would conclude that as long as no one is getting hurt, who cares?

And another information piece on Attitudes on Nudity:

Miscellaneous

Freedom of their family to socialize and date
Yes they do.
Curfews at home
The independent age in Iceland is 18. But young people in Iceland are quite independent before that age. Curfews are not commonly used as an upbringing tool in Iceland.
Sharing household chores
Yes they are supposed to share the household tasks with their parents and siblings.
Diversity of population
We do not have people of many ethnic groups in Iceland. Although more and more people from different parts of the world immigrate to Iceland.
Three main characteristics of the people
Independent, hard working, well informed and educated. Determined, self-reliant and outspoken. Reserved and even shy when first met, but open up quickly as soon as they find their place.
Attitudes to nudity both in and out of the home e.g. sunbathing in the nude?
We do not sunbath nude, but it is common that females sunbathe topless. However at home nudity is not a source of embarrassment and Icelanders are rather liberal in this aspect.
Pyre
Global Moderator
100% Nude & Natural

Singapore Singapore

Capricorn

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »

That sounds really cool, definately a place that I'd like to go sometime. I've heard that there are som nay things to see in Iceland and that's it's a really beautiful place! I bet the feeling of being naked in that warm water was great compared to wearing shorts. Like so many people have said in another thread, there is a great preference to be naked whilst in the water! Thanks for sharing.

I'll take my clothes off and it will be shameless 'cuz everyone knows that's how you get famous
YNAI Board Member
DougGCampbell

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »

Now I see reasons that some people are interested in Iceland for!

I know a few folk who have been to Iceland, (Continetal Airlines used to fly Glasgow - Newark via Reykjavik) but alas, none stayed more than 4 or 5 hours. Some did visit a geothermal pool but I'd be stunned if they went nude!

There was a TV programme a couple of years back where some production company took a group of friends somewhere in Europe for a weekend of partying. Iceland was a great destination but very expensive. A large beer (maybe a pint or so) was £4, a bottle of scotch or vodka was about £15-20. Ouch.  :cry:

However, the Icelandic's were portrayed as fun people who enjoy life. I know they have high taxes & the cost of living isn't cheap but, they do have a great standard of life. Definitely on the 'to do list'.

Nanna's got a bit of Scottishness about her going by the way she speaks/writes & though she admits she's not an out & out nudist, she'd be more than welcome to join in here on YNAI.

Good find, Danielle & interesting post, Bare.

DGC
phil_2405

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 03:03:48 PM »

I'd love to go to Iceland but as discussed it seems quite an expensive place!!
jessie4289
Global Moderator
100% Nude & Natural

United States United States

Aries

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 04:18:34 PM »

That sounds awesome. It sounds like you had a good time! One of my friends has been wanting me to go. Icelandair always has some good packages that are pretty cheap, but I never have the money to make it, at least not thus far. I remember last year, the deal was for 5 nights, it included airfare from Orlando-Reykjavik, the hotel, and breakfast for around 800 dollars, or something like that. I've heard its pretty wild there, and lots of people go there to party, but I've also heard its very expensive. I'll get there one day...

Jessie
wabbitears

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:45:22 AM »

My roommate once went to Iceland and said it was insane.  I'd love to go.
butanboy

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »

take me with you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: